Thursday, February 9, 2012

 

Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
One of the best series ever.
I know it sounds ridiculous.
I know it sounds...well, stupid.
I love this show.

Joss Whedon, the creator, is a talented, kinda twisted, a lot quirky genius.
The dialogue is fast, witty, and full of slang and expressions that have become part of pop culture language: nerd much?

The series ended after 7 seasons, spawned a spin-off show, and left Buffy fans mourning the loss of the Buffyverse. Here's one of my favorite websites dedicated to all things Scooby (Buffy slang for their group...meddling kids!). You might sound nerdy if you admit to loving it, but those of us who get it know your cool points just skyrocketed.

I first found Buffy while working on the Indiana Toll Road in Radio Control. As a dispatcher, there is loads of time to fill between calls. My fellow operator, Heather, kept going on and on about Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was not impressed. With a name like that, how could it be good? It had to be as ridiculous as it's name. Heather loved it so much, she bought the first season and brought it in to watch. I was immediately hooked. I had seen the movie and it was amusing, but the series was amazing! Sarah Michelle Gellar played Buffy perfectly. I quickly fell in love with nerdy Willow and dorky Xander, Buffy's first two friends and the original Scoobies. Rupert Giles, Buffy's Watcher, brought just the right amount of adult incredulity at the antics of the teens to make the premise of the show believable. With each addition to the core gang, unique and interesting characters were developed and the storyline became more intricate and sophisticated.

Yeah, the show's title sounds ridiculous. And the show is ridiculous. Buffy never took itself too seriously and had fun with itself. It has a loyal cult following and will continue to do so as Buffy geeks pass on their DVD collections to their little brothers and sisters, sons and daughters. I cried at the series finale. I just didn't want to see it end.

How about you: got a 'nerd' show to share?



No comments:

Post a Comment